Soccer News NetBig Apple SoccerLA Soccer NewsChicagoland Soccer NewsDallas Soccer NewsPhilly Soccer NewsNew England Soccer NewsDallas Soccer News HomeD.C. Soccer NewsSunshine Soccer News
FC Dallas


August 4, 2016
FC Dallas kicks off CCL with 2-1 victory

Maynor Figueroa scored in the 84th minute to give FC Dallas a2-1 win over Real Esteli.
Maynor Figueroa scored in the 84th minute to give FC Dallas a2-1 win over Real Esteli.
Linda Cuttone/Sports Vue Images
FRISCO, Texas –Michael Barrios and Maynor Figueroa scored late in each half as FC Dallas defeated Real Estelí of Nicaragua, 2-1, Thursday night at Toyota Stadium to open group play in the Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League tournament.

FC Dallas broke through just before halftime after Atiba Harris won a header at the back post, nodding a pass to Barrios. The Colombian struck a hard shot at Justo Lorente, and the goalkeeper punched the shot away. A Real Estelí defender attempted to clear the ball away only to mishit it to the opposite side of the area. Ryan Hollingshead took control there, dribbling past a pair of defenders before centering a pass into the six-yard box. Barrios remained dialed in throughout the play and beat his defender to the pass, redirecting the ball just over the goal line with his thigh while sliding through the goal mouth.

Barrios nearly opened scoring 15 minutes earlier when FC Dallas midfielder Mauro Diaz sprung him in on goal with a long pass over the top of Real Estelí’s back line. Barrios cut inside and ripped a hard shot towards the back post. Real Estelí’s Justo Lorente attempted a diving save to his left side, but Barrios’ hard strike trickled through the goalkeeper’s hands before connecting with the post and rebounding away from goal.

Estelí nearly answered in the 29th minute, when Gregorio Torres cut through a pair of FC Dallas defenders in the middle of the pitch and hit a line drive shot, 30 yards from goal. The attempt sailed over the head of FC Dallas goalkeeper Jesse Gonzalez but caught the crossbar before rebounding over the end line for a goal kick.

Real Estelí made it a 1-1 game just after halftime when substitute Juan Berdun chased down a long pass near the end line, dribbled towards Gonzalez and struck a hard shot that caught the underside of the crossbar and the far post before settling into the back of the net.

FC Dallas regained the lead in the 84th minute, when substitute Mauro Rosales received a pass on the right flank. The Argentine sent a ball into the box that was deflected to Maxi Urruti at the back post. Well behind the play, Urruti had time to wait for options. Figueroa, charging forward from his spot at left back, gave him his best choice. Figueroa pounded a ball past Lorente from the top of the box off a feed from Urruti, giving Dallas a 2-1 lead late.

FC Dallas travels to California next week to take on the LA Galaxy in the semifinal round of the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup, before returning home to Toyota Stadium versus Sporting Kansas City on Aug. 13.

Contact Us | Help | Advertising Information | Terms of Use |Privacy Policy | Site Map
Sports Vue Interactive
© 2014 Sports Vue Interactive, LLC All Rights Reserved